Tuesday 26 November 2013

Do You Ride By Feel Or By Numbers

I WROTE THIS POST IN EARLY AUGUST AND FORGOT TO POST IT.



Every rider is very different.
We all have different strengths, ability and goals.

I have been lucky enough to get some quality time in the saddle during July, More monthly miles than I have done in many a year. Most of these miles have been solo and I have been pushing myself with challenging rides climbing multiple fells or pushing it on the flat.

Even though I have suffered big time on these rides I have fallen back in love with riding my bike again and remembered why I started cycling in the 1st place.

While I have been cycling I have always rode on feel and I personally wouldn't have it any other way.

Velominati Rule 74 is very clear

We are in an age now where a plethora of information is at your finger tips to assist your riding.

Cadence, Watts, Heart Rate and many more.



They all have their place for sure but the question I have asked myself on recent rides is whether this actually enhances or detracts from your actual riding experience.

As mentioned above I prefer to ride on feel and always have. I do however own a Garmin Edge GPS cycle computer so im afraid its another velominati rule that I break on a regular basis. I have a heart rate monitor  and a cadence sensor but they're still brand new in the box.



The main credentials I use my Garmin for are

  • Avg Speed
  • Distance covered
  • Heading (I like to find out which direction the headwind is early on in a ride)
  • Gradient (Usually id rather not know)
  • Time Of Day
  • Time Of Ride
  • Navigation when I have plotted a new route.
I love my garmin, I couldn't ride without it........ Or could I ??

My post ride ritual usually is

  1. Put the bike away
  2. Slump in a chair
  3. Make a recovery drink
  4. Drink recovery drink
  5. Download ride to Strava & Garmin Connect
  6. Shower
  7. Pour over all the stats from my ride in great detail
  8. Do whatever the wife tells me to do seeing as ive just spent 5hrs craigy time on the bike and try to be enthusiastic


So clearly post ride I love to study my stats. I have used Garmin Connect for years and recently I have been seduced by strava once I sussed out how to best use it constructively.

During July I have tried to leave my Garmin on the map screen as much as possible during my actual rides in an attempt to embrace the ride..As a result I have enjoyed the riding experience far more as a benefit.Also I have posted some of my best riding statistics for over 5 years during this period.

Why do I ride my bike?

Its certainly not to spend most of it staring at a little screen worrying about what heart rate zone im in or what my average speed is.

I ride my bike to be out in the fresh air, taking in all the sensations that hit my senses, to spend time with pals & to feel that utter freedom that riding your bike gives you.

From experience I know where my limits are, I know when to just try and stay below my lactic acid threshold, I don't need a heart rate monitor to tell me my rate is up I can feel it in my body,I know that little tingle I get in my finger tips telling me to eat about 30mins before a hunger knock.

Im not interested in racing so maybe I am just an Old Skool type rider in a more modern age.
Just try one ride without your computer or pop your garmin in your back pocket and you may realise what you have been missing out on.......... The Ride !
There are many many hours after the ride to study the statistics.

Cheers for now.
Ride Strong.

Craig

P.S Please feel free to subscribe to my blog by adding your email address in the box just under the TDF countdown clock.I am going to be really stepping it up now with regular posts and reviews on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment