Thursday 19 December 2013

Kali Phenom Road Helmet

In my previous life with Onix Bikes I was lucky enough to ride prototype bikes before they were launched and now at the helm of Nrg4 I get to try out all manner of new cycling products & components before they launch or become available to the public. Its a burden im willing to bear !

Nrg4 is constantly being contacted by brands who want to establish a place in the UK cycling market. When Kali Helmets, or Kali Protectives to give them there full name blipped on our radar I have to confess I didnt know much about them at all. On reflection the reason for this is that I am a keen roadie, up until now Kali have concentrated and built their considerable cycling reputation in the MTB and Downhill market.



I took a look at their website and they had a wide selection of high quality helmets in those 2 category's as well as some sweet bmx and kids offerings. The problem I had is that the one road version advertised was quite obviously just their top end MTB helmet with the peak removed and it didn't look like a road helmet.



So we contacted them voicing our concerns that the road market is exploding in the UK and that a more extensive range is required for us to consider the investment. The reply came back with a certain swagger "we have a new road range for 2014 and we will send you a sample". 5 days later a Kali Phenom road helmet landed on my desk and it changed EVERYTHING !
Kali Phenom Green And White

 The 1st impression that hits you when you see the Phenom is the sleek design and cool colour scheme, when you remove it from the box its the light weight, this is a feather weight weighing in at an astonishing 280g for the medium which puts it out there as one of the lightest helmets on the market, if not the lightest.
As a long head I have always had a problem with finding a lid that doesn't look like a huge mushroom on my head, my Giro Atmos obviously offers protection but it makes me look like a toadstool.
Upon wearing the Phenom for its 1st outing a quick look in the mirror was pleasantly greeted by a reflection bearing no fungi whatsoever.
The reason for the lack of fungi quality's and lightweight is explained by Kali's market leading Composite Fusion Plus carbon moulding which put in simple terms uses cones in the composition which allows for less structure being required to acquire the same strength and protection #clever.
Kali Composite Fusion Plus
I have been wearing the Kali Phenom for a number of weeks now and I can honestly say its the best most comfortable helmet I have ever worn, "You would say that" I hear you cry seeing as I am at the forefront of the business selling it in the UK. Well I am going to back that up with some facts. I have already mentioned that it is very light and aesthetically looked by far the sleekest and coolest helmet to ever sit upon my swede without a mushroom in sight.

Lightweight & Sleek Styling

The other major benefit I have found while wearing this helmet is what Kali call the Bumper Fit system which is unique. The area at the front of the helmet has a membrane that cushions and moulds to the shape of your head. We have all stopped at the cafe and seen your fellow rider with little red marks on their forehead where the helmet has rubbed slightly, these are called hotspots. With the Kali bumper fit system that is present on both road models the helmet adjusts to fit you and eliminates hot spots for extra comfort.Also included are supervents that give you great circulation to help keep you cool in the summer,a dial adjust system which allows you to adjust the fit with one hand which is another neat little feature,aero winter cover and bug liner.
Phenom Technology's


The Kali Phenom is going to be available in 4 different colour schemes from March 2014 and will retail for £149.99. I could continue to wax lyrical but some products just speak for themselves and you can just see the quality of the Phenom in the image gallery below.


Kali Phenom Black & Yellow
Kali Phenom Red & White

Kali Phenom Black & White

 If your budget cant quite stretch to the Kali Phenom then the new Kali Loka road helmet also offers fantastic quality and tech at a lower price point. It has 2 models that will be available in Black & Red from March 2014 and features composite fusion plus, bumper fit, dial adjust, aero winter cover and bug liner for £89.99
Kali Loka Red

Kali Loka Black
Loka Technology's
If you are thinking of treating yourself to a new road helmet for next season then I assure you these are worth waiting for as I believe they are going to be the best road helmets on the market for the money next year in the UK.

Thats it for now..

Ride Strong

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment